Summer

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

UGGGG Nap Time

How is it possible that I need a daily nap and my 3 year old does not seem to think she needs to?
Is she too old to be taking a nap? This isn't only a nap issue, but nightime issue as well. We put her to bed at 7:30 (always have) and she is staying awake until 10:00 sometimes!!! This is past my bedtime. Then she is back up at 7:00 (that is 9 hrs) and she doesn't think she needs a nap....Is she CRAZY!?! All the research says she needs atleast 12 hrs asleep at night. And I can tell she still needs a nap because at 3 or 4 in the afternoon we have a total breakdown.
I dont know what to do, I can't duct tape her eyes shut!! I hope somone out there has some insight...PLEASE HELP!

2 comments:

  1. Is she getting out of bed or just laying there? For the night time I really like super nannys method

    The first time she gets up tell her sweetly "Its bed time Lilly", and take her back to bed

    The second time tell her more firmly "Its bed time Lilly" and take her back to bed

    The third time, and any subsequent times do not talk to her. Simply take her back to bed each time she gets up.

    If she is just laying there until 10, I would just let her. Its probably a phase and she will grow out of it soon.

    As far as naps, well 3 was about the time that both of mine started phasing it out, and the only way to get them to nap was if I layed down and napped too. Great if you dont have an infant that may or may not cooperate.

    Stand your ground girl! I know it sounds funny but you need to win this one! Its definitely not healthy for her not to be sleeping a good 10-12 hours a night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna has good tips. Three is when Cameron started phasing out his naps (the younger two were older when they phased out naps). My only other suggestion is to do the same technique at naptime too. If she doesnt want to sleep then she HAS to lay down and watch a movie (I still do this with Colton). Its only been in the last 4-6 months that he actually stays awake for the movie, it used to put him to sleep.

    ReplyDelete